AS i wait for my hair to bleach i think i may share how i do it!
if you do it properly you can avoid major damage to the hair but follow the instructions carefully.
im going to give to sets of instructions , keep in mind i have naturally blonde hair(mucky gold) so it is alot easier for me to lift the colour, if you have natural brown/black hair this will take a few attempts and try not to bleach your hair more than 2 times during the day ,even twice is bad but i lacked patience i was very lucky to have not killed my hair.
if it is dyed brown or black it will be a bit annoying to lift the colour
Use a product like Color Oops or MYHD to return hair to close to its original color without bleaching. Your hair will still be too dark for the toner, so it will require between one and three bleachings with a 4-6 shade lightening bleach.
if you can take a week at home you will be best to leave a week between bleaching espescially if you have weak hair so just hide your ginger mop at home!
always leave a MINIMUM of 3 hours between bleaching and try and let it air dry
as of now i am trying a new method to lift the colour but i wont post this method until i know what the results are like.can't be giving you bad advice now can i?
This method does work and wont damage your hair too much and you can revive it with a fantastic conditioner Tigi Dumb Blonde is absolutely amazing and has restored my hair immediately after bleaching.
I have done my hair this way for over 3 years with no consequences, i do it myself as very few stylists will bring it up to white as it can go wrong, plus you do this for less than €25 , postage is more expensive than the products!!!
the main point is you are NOT to bleach your hair white, silly silly mistake , only ever bleach your hair to a pale yellow. TONER is the key, a purple toner will cancel out all the yellow tones from your hair( as purple is opposite yellow on the colour wheel)
maintain with a purple shampoo such as Lee Staffords.
if you smoke be careful it really does make your hair yellow as sin as your hair will be VERY pourous and absorbant
YOU WILL NEED
- schwarzkopf live colour 00A ,(boots ~€9) (for shoulder length or longer 2/3 packets may be needed)
- white distiled vinegar
- cling film/shower cap
- TONER- i have used many and this has been the best so far http://www.amazon.co.uk/Directions-Semi-Permanent-Conditioning-White-Toner/dp/B001BFRMM2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1277566866&sr=8-7.
- make sure your hair is about 2 days old as conditioned clean hair wont take as well
- Mix up the dye as stated on leaflet
- i personally dont use gloves as you just get in there with your own hands :)
- leave the dye on for about 1 hr 15 mins, wont actually kill your hair scalp may sting a bit but nothing bad :)
- wrap your hair in clingfilm /shower cap.may sound stupid but you DO NOT want the bleach to dry in your hair.the clingfilm keeps the heat from your head in allowing the bleach to do its thang =)
- ONLY if your hair is in relatively good condition you can then blow dry over the clingfilm, this really does have a great affect on the colour but can have really bad effects. i only do it every 3/4 dyes
- when the time is up rinse your hair out FULLY in tepid water.do not shampoo it, you dont want to for as long as you can as your hair is starving and shampoo will strip it, instead use a toning conditoner.use the TIGI Dumb Blonde and leave it on over night if you can! and you'll smell of pineapple :)
- this may sound silly but since our hair is naturally acidic. When you use bleach to strip or lighten your hair you are putting an extremely strong base in your hair… this drys it out and makes it very unhealthy and brittle. some white distilled vinegar will counteract. rinse your hair thoroughly with this… after you wash the bleach out of your hair of course. Make sure you work the vinegar into your hair thoroughly, you will be able to tell that your hair is getting back to its normal texture when you feel it’s less slimy and more coarse again.
- Find out if you need dry or wet hair for your toner.
- make sure you only use the toner for the time specified or you will have purple/blue hair. like the little old women of the blue rinse brigade!
- be careful not to overuse toning shampoo and conditioner! you can end up with mucky grey hair for a few days(this has happened to me SO MANY times)
And thats it your done (: best of luck!
The end result :)
ps. manic panic went great but very very harsh,post about this later!